Guava cream cheese cookies
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
8 oz. full-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
2 oz. guava paste or guava marmalade/jam
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Serving Size: 35
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until it’s smooth. Add the butter and beat until it’s fully combined. Add in the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is creamy. Beat in the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and continue to beat until the cookie dough comes together. Cover and chill the dough for up to 2 hours.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it into balls that are about 1-1.5 tablespoons large between the palm of your hands. Arrange the dough on the baking sheet so there are a few inches in between each cookie. With the back of a spoon or using your thumb, create an indent in the middle. At this point, put the cookies in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill them.
- While the cookies are chilling, put the guava paste in a bowl and warm it up at 20 seconds intervals in the microwave until it’s loose and gooey.
- Take the cookies out of the freezer and spoon ½ teaspoon of guava paste into the center of the cookies. Bake for 13-16 minutes until the cookies lightly brown on the sides and have browned on the bottom. Allow the cookies to cool on a rack. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.