Mexican Chocolate Pots De Crème
2 cups heavy cream
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. quality ground cinnamon (we like Saigon)
1/8 tsp. ground red chili pepper (or a touch more if you like it spicier)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. quality pure Mexican vanilla extract
6 oz. high quality dark chocolate
- Serving Size:
- Cook time:
- Chop up the chocolate and place it in a blender. Set aside.
- Place the cream, egg yolks, salt, ground red chili pepper and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking to combine the ingredients. Continue to whisk continually until the mixture just starts to bubble and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. DO NOT BOIL. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot mixture into the blender with the chocolate and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into 4 individual ramekins and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or until set (I often chill them overnight).
- For a softer consistency, let the pots de creme sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream sprinkled with chocolate shavings and a half cinnamon stick.