1 pound chicken wings
1 1/2 pounds skin-on, boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
1/2 cup Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced
3 Spanish onions
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas (thawed if frozen)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced piquillo peppers
6 sprigs thyme
3 celery stalks
3 fresh bay leaves
1 tablespoon saffron threads
2 tablespoons smoked Spanish paprika
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 black peppercorns
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 large red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 1/4 cups Calasparra rice (or other paella rice)
1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata or black olives
- Serving Size:
- Cook time:
- To make the stock: combine 6 thyme sprigs, 2 fresh bay leaves, 1 cup of chopped Spanish onion, 12 black peppercorns, 1/2 cup sliced celery, 1/2 cup carrot, and 1 pound of chicken wings in a large pot and add water to cover.
- Over medium heat, uncovered, bring the stock to a simmer, for 45 minutes.
- Add saffron and let simmer 15 more minutes.
- Pour the stock through a fine strainer and discard the solids.
- In a separate large pot: add 1 quartered onion, 1 fresh bay leaf, 8 cups of water, and 2 sliced stalks of celery and let simmer over medium heat.
- Add 1 1/2 pounds of skin-on, fat trimmed, boneless chicken thighs and poach them gently until they are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and retain the poaching liquid.
- Let the chicken cool slightly, then discard the skin and shred the meat.
- In a blender: add 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons of smoked Spanish paprika, plus 2 strained cups of the reserved poaching liquid and puree until smooth.
- In a separate large skillet: heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat and add 1 thinly sliced onion, 2 thinly sliced large red bell peppers, plus 2 cloves of garlic, and cook until translucent.
- Add the pureed sauce and stir until sauce thickens.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Season with salt and keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a paella pan or large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of thinly sliced Spanish chorizo and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup diced Spanish onion and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add 1 1/4 cups Calasparra rice (or other paella rice) and stir to lightly coat with the oil. Stir in 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas (thawed if frozen), 2 tablespoons thinly sliced piquillo peppers, 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata or black olives, the chicken mixture and the saffron chicken stock.
- Season with salt.
- Bake until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Remove from the oven, cover, and let rest.
- Serve in the pan.