Tres Leches is a delicious dessert prepared in many countries throughout Latin America. It means “three milks” because the recipe calls for a sponge cake (in most cases) to be soaked in three different types of dairy: evaporated, condensed and regular whole milk. It’s a sweet and decadent treat that can be enjoyed at any time of the year. Tres Leches also has its variations, including Cuatro Leches (“four milks”) that includes heavy cream.
- Preheat oven to 350° Lightly grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Cream, butter and 1 cup sugar together until fluffy in a stand mixer. Add eggs and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix extremely well.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the mixture 4 tablespoons at a time, until the batter has been all mixed.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Combine the whole milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Pour over the top of the cooled cake. Top with whipped cream.